Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife


Synopsis: Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing. -BN.com

I had heard rave reviews for The Time Traveler's Wife on the Nest Book Club, and i had been interested but it wasn't until I saw the movie trailer that I knew i had to read it. In just a few pages I was hooked, and devoured the pages with every spare moment i got. It is rare that a novel makes me cry, but I admit that I cried at the end. The author did a great job moving the plot along, when Henry is shuffling back in forth in every chapter. The writing made me feel like i was there witnessing Henry and Clare meeting, falling in love, and going through their lives year by year. The main characters are well drawn out, but the supporting characters seemed to be lacking in development. This book is filled with emotion cover to cover. I found the time shifting confusing at first but it didn't take long to adjust to this sequencing. This story is hard to forget, and a perfect rainy day read. I highly and enthusiastically recommend this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment